I want to welcome all of you to the 2015-2016 School Year! Holcomb has been buzzing with excitement this past week. It has been wonderful seeing the bright smiles of students as they bounce off of busses and enter our school. All of us at Holcomb are eager and excited to begin what promises to be an exciting new year. We know that by working together we can deliver on the promise of a successful school experience for each child that walks through the doors of our school. Our focus on relationships and belonging will enable us to meet the challenges of academic excellence in a positive, fun and nurturing environment.
I have enjoyed meeting many of you during open house and throughout this first week of school. Thank you for the warm welcome! I am honored to be the instructional leader of this school and to work with the committed teachers and staff that make it great. I look forward to building lasting relationships with each and every member of the Holcomb community. If we have not yet met please do not hesitate to introduce yourself! I am eager to meet you and your family!
NEW FACES: The start of this school year has brought a lot of growth to Holcomb. I would like to introduce the new members of the Holcomb Staff.
• In kindergarten we welcome April Davis. Mrs. Davis was a student teacher in our building last year and before that her three sons attended Holcomb. She is friendly, warm and dedicated to student success!
• We welcome Dawn Spahn to kindergarten. Mrs. Spahn served the students of Holcomb as a reading specialist last year. She is creative, energetic and makes strong connections with students.
• In first grade we welcome Autumn Watson. Autumn is beginning her teaching career with us and we feel lucky to have her. She is energetic, flexible and has additional endorsements in reading and English language learning.
• In second grade we welcome Vanessa Mohler. Ms. Mohler comes to Holcomb from Candy Lane/Jennings Lodge where she was a reading specialist for 10 years. She is hard working, friendly and excited to be teaching 2nd grade.
• In third grade we welcome Emma Batenhorst. Ms. Batenhorst is serving as a long-term substitute for Mrs. Stoll, who is on family leave. Ms. Batenhorst was a student teacher in our building last year and is excited to continue to be a part of our community. She is fun and caring.
• In fourth grade we welcome Mr. Reed. Mr. Reed has over 16 years of teaching experience. He is focused on building a strong classroom community, improving student achievement and has a love of technology. He will be a wonderful addition to our intermediate team.
• In fifth grade we welcome Alia Fernandez who is serving as a long-term substitute for Mrs. Noice who is on family leave. Alia was a long-term substiute in our building last year. We are excited to have her back. She brings with her a love of yoga and a focus on classroom community.
• Our new speech and language pathologist is Kathy Kobor. Kathy is not new to the Oregon City School District, but she is new to Holcomb. We are elated to have her. She is knowledgeable and dedicated to serving our students and meeting each of their unique needs.
• We welcome Erin Carmichael to our AISP primary classroom K-2. Ms. Carmichael is focused on meeting the unique needs of her students, creating a sense of belonging, and supporting academic achievement.
• We also welcome many new instructional assistants to our team. Kelsey Hoskins joins our Holcomb team and we welcome Ashley Weaver, Hannah Townsend, Kylee Cook, and Jeremy Zuercher to our AISP team.
Our team here at Holcomb is strong and we are looking forward to a successful school year, but with growth often comes change. We have been forced to use our space in creative ways as we have added three new classrooms full of students. Our family resource center is in transition as we move those important resources and services to a new location in our computer lab. Please be patient with us as we reestablish the FRC in its new location.
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL: Our school day begins at 8:00AM every day and ends at 2:20pm except on Wednesdays when we end our school day at 1:20pm. This early release time allows for important instructional planning and teacher training. It is one of the many ways that we work to provide the best possible education for your child. Please take care when navigating our parking lot during drop off and pick up. Please stop at the stop sign and be aware of children crossing the street.
ATTENDANCE: It has been proven that children who have good attendance are more successful in school. Please be sure to have your child/children here on time. Students who are consistently absent and/or tardy are at a clear disadvantage. All students who arrive after 8:00am must sign in at the office. If your child is sick please report the absence by calling the attendance line 503-785-8083 by 8:15am. Also, please make efforts to schedule appointments and vacations so that they do not interfere with the school day. We are here to support you and your family so that your children can be successful learners. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us for help with attendance. Thank you for your partnership in reaching our goal of every child having a 95% or higher attendance rate. This would mean that students would not miss more than 7 days of school this school year.
HOME AND SCHOOL PARTNERSHIP:It is important that teachers and parents work together to make a child’s school year a happy and successful one! It is hoped that you will be able to build a trusting relationship with your child’s teacher and other parents in the Holcomb community. If you are able to help in school we have many opportunities for parent volunteers. We understand that not all schedules allow for in school help. Please work with your child’s teacher or our PTA to learn about ways that you can help ensure a successful school year for your child. Every parent is welcomed at Holcomb! Every child should have received a school calendar. The calendar doubles as a school handbook. Please browse the calendar for important policy and expectation information. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our office.